Dieting and portion control can be extremely overwhelming. It is never easy to change existing habits entirely or introduce changes to your routine, but eating right is one of the most
important aspects of getting healthy and is relatively easy to do. If you’ve been following our Resolution Solutions, you know that last week we suggested keeping a food diary.
Doing so should have allowed you to assess your every day diet and help you understand where it is you may be going wrong. For example, if on a given day you notice you are hungrier than
normal, you can compare that day’s diet to others and make changes to your future meals and snacks accordingly.
Making simple and healthy changes to your favorite recipes is another great
way to make small but impactful differences in your diet. Swapping out unhealthy ingredients for their healthier alternatives goes a long way. We’ve compiled a list of useful substitutions (download our handy chart!)
that are super easy and you’ll barely even notice the difference.
1. SKIM MILK not WHOLE MILK: This one is a no brainer; way less calories and nutrients like Calcium, vitamin A, D, phosphorous, magnesium, etc.
2. BROWN RICE not WHITE RICE: Brown rice provides essential nutrients like fiber and protein that get stripped away when white rice is processed.
3. TWO EGG WHITES not ONE WHOLE EGG: A single egg yolk contains more than half of the recommended daily cholesterol for the average adult. Adding a second egg white will also double the protein.
4. GROUND TURKEY not GROUND BEEF: Ground turkey has less calories and contains less saturated fat than ground beef.
5. OLIVE OIL not BUTTER: Swapping olive oil for butter is a great way to cut down on saturated fats.
6. BANANA PUREE not ICE CREAM: Freezing a banana and then pureeing it makes for delicious dessert and better yet, contains no milk, no cream and no sugar.
7. SELTZER WATER not SODA: Avoid sodas and instead opt for a glass of seltzer water, just as refreshing without all the calories and sugar.
8. DARK GREENS not LIGHT GREENS: Arugula, romaine, spinach, kale are just a few options better than iceberg lettuce. Darker greens usually contain more nutrients like iron, vitamin C and antioxidants.
9. POPCORN not POTATO CHIPS: Air popped popcorn is way lower in fat and lower in calories. Try adding cinnamon or parmesan cheese for added flavor.
10. PITA not SLICED BREAD: Fulfill your carb craving with whole-wheat pita instead of sliced bread. Depending on the brand you could be cutting out almost half the unnecessary calories and fat.
*Enjoy Free Standard Shipping on orders over $75 everyday. Offer does not apply to previous purchases or the purchase of gift cards and cannot be combined with any other offers.
This email may be considered an advertising or promotional message.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox. If you would like to reply to this message please email email@example.com.
Danskin | 1411 Broadway 8th Floor | New York | NY | 10018