OUR SHOPPING DIARIES
You know my favorite place to get holiday shopping done? Anywhere that is not a mall. Which, in the case of NYC, means anywhere that is not Soho. So this year Of a Kind is putting together our own one-stop-shop for holiday gifting (and self-indulging) at The Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg, BK. We’ve wrangled some of our favorite local designers to sell their goodies in a space that will be well-heated and filled with non-denominational music. And though the season calls for it, we’re not allowed to sell Xanax, so instead we’re keeping the bar staffed all day. COME. ON. DOWN. —claire
- Loving Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn even more than I already did thanks to her penchant for carrying wine bags as purses (as broken down for Elle).
- Getting my greens with this cozy, soy-saucy recipe via Milk & Mode.
- Dying over The Onion’s review of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
- Traversing Mercer Street to
get some gift shopping donebuy an early present for myself: a knitting kit from the way-too-enticing shop Purl Soho.
- Trying to avoid winter hair static/dryness with this serious deep conditioner from Davines.
- Making double batches of Smitten Kitchen’s absurdly easy one-pan farro with tomatoes to last me for the whole week—it somehow manages to taste better reheated.
- Texting Erica some really next-level emoji action, courtesy of LINE, a hilarious chat app that is apparently all the rage in Japan.
- Scrolling endlessly through Into The Gloss’s tumblr, which serves up a bevy of some seriously strong magazine editorials, film stills (Katie Holmes in Disturbing Behavior, anyone?), and other inspo images.
- Loving this story about how San Francisco hired design firm IDEO to figure out how to get public school kids to eat healthier lunches.
- Getting pretty nostalgic for the nineties thanks to Vulture—check out this epic Sheryl Crow cover by Lorde and Haim, and read Irene’s account of “the bitch-slap heard round the world” (yes, that one, from the The Real World: Seattle).