OUR BOOKING IT DIARIES
One way to deal with the experience that is January in New York is to do everything possible to avoid living in the present. So Erica and I have been busy planning our honeymoons, both of which are taking place over two long, glorious weeks this coming summer. (No, not at the same time. We’re not that insane.) I’m going to Japan and Hawaii, and Erica’s headed to Portugal. These are the people we’ve decided to bring along. We’re relying on Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Fathom, and Designtripper to do all of the heavy lifting for us so we can focus on how we’re possibly going to pack two weeks worth of clothes into a reasonably-sized piece of luggage. —claire
- Feeling like a GD grown-up even when eating a bowl of Crispix thanks to this fly copper silverware.
- Bookmarking the teeny-space-friendly design blog Shoebox Dwelling.
- Appreciating both Glady’s and Sunshine Co.—two cheery, plant-filled Brooklyn restaurants that don’t FEEL like Edison-bulbed Brooklyn restaurants.
- Scoring a few pairs of the best black tights in the whole wide world, Wolford’s Velvet De Luxe 66, for a not-too-insane price—they last multiple seasons, ok?
- Developing a newfound respect for booze via Amy Stewart’s knowledge-packed book The Drunken Botanist.
- Wishing Get Fixed had been around when I lived in Chicago—you snap a pic of your parking ticket, and they contest it for you.
- Thinking that four year olds make the best (and most entertaining) restaurant critics.
- Geeking out over some major art stuff: All 4+ hours of Einstein on the Beach are streaming online, and Kara Walker is taking over the Domino Sugar Factory in Brooklyn.
- Feeling glad the rest of the world is finally catching up to my canned fish habit—and by the rest of the world I mean Food52 and The New York Times.
- Finding Damages to be a more than suitable fix for hiatus-induced Scandal withdrawal. The suspense and the fashion both really deliver.